7 Easy Ways to Maintain Your AC Unit
Can you imagine those hot summer months without the use of your air conditioner? This all-important appliance makes the rising temperatures much more tolerable. To ensure that your AC unit is in working order and functioning correctly, it’s important to hire a home air conditioning service in Hampton, GA, each year for a tune up. Besides the help of a professional, here are a few other things you can do to ensure your air conditioning system stays up and running.
· Replace your air filter regularly. The air filter is one of the most important components of your AC unit. It catches dirt and debris and prevents it from entering into your system and being blown throughout your home. Prevent buildup and damage by replacing the filter every month.
· Examine the wiring and components carefully. Each year before you start up your air conditioning unit for the season, it’s important to inspect your unit. Turn off the power to your system before performing any sort of inspection. Then, remove the access panel and check to see if your condensing unit is showing any signs of overheating. Look for blackened or burned wires. You should also check that your electrical connections are tight.
· Test your thermostat. When your unit hasn’t been in use for a while, you may not notice that your thermostat has problems. Before using your AC for the season, test it by adjusting the temperature a few degrees. If your system doesn’t automatically respond, there could be a problem.
· Switch to a programmable thermostat. Older thermostat models don’t allow you to automatically change the temperature in your home based on the date and time. Save yourself energy and money by upgrading your thermostat this season.
· Inspect the condenser fan. Each year, take the time to inspect your outdoor unit. Turn off the power to your condenser unit before removing the cage. Then, check that the fan is in good condition. If you notice any rips, cracks, or chips, it’s time to replace it. Depending on the age of your unit, you may also need to oil the fan bearings.
· Keep your outside unit free and clear. It’s easy to allow dirt and grass clippings to creep up and clutter your air conditioning unit. This could impact the system’s capacity and greatly reduce its air flow. Trim overgrown shrubs and plants away from your unit. Then, shut off the power before using a garden hose to gently wash away any lingering debris.
· Call a professional as needed. Your air conditioning system is made up of many different parts. If something isn’t functioning properly, don’t attempt to repair it yourself. Instead, call a professional at the first sign of trouble. It’s the best way to prevent small issues from becoming big problems. Even if you don’t have any issues with your AC unit, a regular tune-up is a great way to keep air flowing properly through your home.
Just as your car needs regular maintenance services, so does your air conditioning unit. From hiring an air conditioning service in Hampton, GA, to changing your filter, by following these tips and tricks, your AC unit will keep you cool all summer long.